#55 – George Dyson (The amazing history of technology)
In this episode of the Judgment Call Podcast George Dyson and I talk about:
- 00:01:45 The Genesis story of George’s writing about the history of technology and science.
- 00:07:10 The amazing story of the Orion spacecraft.
- 00:14:50 Is the Big Stagnation real? Are we just measuring our success incorrectly?
- 00:21:30 How much did von Neumann and his contemporaries know about ‘giving birth’ to intelligent machines at their time?
- 00:26:40 Why is humanity so interested in technology? Are we already doomed?
- 00:36:10 The case for ethical machines. Will machines adopt ethics and religion?
- 00:43:45 How religions deal with limits to technology.
- 00:47:33 Can we all just get along without being innovative? Will we run the risk of an innovative power to sweep us away? Are we in a post-conflict society?
- 00:52:30 Is the hypothesis that we live in a simulation correct?
- 01:11:10 How we are motivated by our fathers and how we emulate them.
- 01:14:52 The history of the allied attacks on German cities of Hamburg and Dresden in WWII.
You may watch this episode on Youtube – The Judgment Call Podcast Episode #55 – George Dyson (The amazing history of technology).
George Dyson is an author and historian of technology. He is the author of five bestselling books. His newest book is called Analogia : The Emergence of Technology Beyond Programmable Control – it is now available on Amazon.